Our post last week on some exciting upcoming resources in content strategy got us thinking about a topic we discuss fairly often here: What’s in the essential content strategy library?
We spend a lot of time educating ourselves and our clients on the latest tools and techniques that content strategy brings to projects. Because the holistic way of thinking about content strategy is still gaining traction in many quarters, many people we talk to would consider themselves learners instead of experts. And with the holidays around the corner, you might be working on your wish list.
So we’ll share our picks for the best resources on content strategy — both now and in 2012. And we’re going to send a full set of our content strategy library to one reader! Keep reading for the details….
- Content Strategy for the Web — Buy it now, or pre-order the 2nd edition coming in 2012! This is the book that defined the discipline of content strategy.
- Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works — The seminal classic on writing for the web. If Ginny Redish hasn’t taught you how to write yet, don’t miss the opportunity to learn from a master.
- The Elements of Content Strategy — Erin Kissane wrote this great how-to book earlier this year. Great companion to the Halvorson book.
- The Content Marketing Institute Blog was one of the first that I ever added to my RSS reader. Posts are written by leaders in the content marketing and strategy world — all people that I trust, many that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person. They stay on top of trends in the industry, offer case studies on best practices and let us all learn lessons from their mistakes, and provide a one-stop shop for resources.
- Content Rules by Anne Handley and C.C. Chapman is about much more than creating quality website content. This little book packs quite a punch and covers content formats such as ebooks, videos, podcasts and webinars. It’s an easy-to-read reference that has a little something for first-time content creators and veterans alike.
To get the library:
In the comments below, share your favorite content strategy resource or tell us which book above you’re looking most forward to reading. We’ll randomly select one commenter on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2011, and send you the four books in the library. [Shipping free to any U.S. location; if you’re not U.S.-based, we’ll talk.]